Swim Lessons: Learn-to-Swim (Child)
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Our swim lessons (American Red Cross) are 30 or 40 minutes, depending on the level. Proof of residency is required at the time of registration.
Fall Session: Saturday mornings between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. (Winter)
Spring Session: Saturday Mornings 9:00am-12:10pm
Dates: March 17th - May 19th 2018
WH Resident Registration: Jan 30th 2018
Non-Resident Registration: February 6th 2018
NO CLASS March 31st & April 21st 2018
*Registration Closes on Feb 27th 2018
Summer Session: Tuesday & Thursday Evenings between 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Dates: June 26th - July 24th 2018
WH Resident Registration: June 5th 2018
Non-Resident Registration: June 12th 2018
*Registration Closes on June 22nd 2018 @ 4pm
No Class on June 3rd 2018
FEE: $50 for Parent Tot-Level 3 and $60 for Level 4 - 6.
***ON-LINE Registration for Levels: Parent Tot, Preschool & Level 1....!!!***
There is NO online registration for Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Please call to register or come in person to the Recreation Department.
If your child has passed a level and the on-line registration is not allowing you to register because of the age you Must Call 203-937-3651. The safety of your children is our 1st priority and it is our goal to provide them with an optimal environment to learn the swimming skills.
Research shows that children can be distracted by their parents' presence during swim lessons. For this reason, we ask that parents please try to distance themselves from the class. As a general rule, please stay off the pool deck and you can take a seat in the bleacher area.
- Registration can be done at the Parks and Recreation Office, Online or over the phone by credit card.
- Parent/Tot children MUST be accompanied into the water by an adult.
- All participants must wear a swim suit and should bring a towel.
- Classes through Level 3 are 30 minutes, Level 4 and up are 40 minutes.
- Please be ready to get in the water at the assigned time.
Things to Know
* Arrive to the Pool 15 Minutes before your scheduled class time
* Make sure that your child is dressed and ready to go
* Make sure that they use the Lavatory before their class time
* Roll Call will be done 5 minutes before class to organize the swim groups
* If you are more than 10 minutes late your child will not be able to swim
* If you can't make the swim lessons at all you MUST Call WH Park Rec and notify the office before the session has
Parent and Child Aquatics:
Builds basic water safety for both parents and children, helping infants and young children ages 6 months to about 3 years become comfortable in the water so they are willing and ready to learn to swim. These basic skills include adjusting to the water environment, showing comfort while maintaining a front or back position in the water and demonstrating breath control, including blowing bubbles or voluntarily submerging under water. Parent must accompany child in the water with swim attire.
Gives young children ages 4 a positive, developmentally appropriate aquatic learning experience that emphasizes water safety, survival and foundational swimming concepts. Skills are age appropriate, helping participants achieve success on a regular basis while in a class environment with their peers.
Based on a logical, six-level progression that helps swimmers 5+ years old and adults develop their water safety, survival and swimming skills. It is designed to give participants a positive learning experience.
- Parent and Child Aquatics: Our lessons emphasize body positioning, water adjustment and fun. Lessons are designed for youngsters 6-18 months, 18-36 months to 3 years. Parent must accompany child in the water.
- Preschool Aquatics: Our lessons are designed for youngsters who have previously enrolled in our Parent/Child class. Lessons further emphasize the development of body positioning, water adjustment skills, functioning independently in the water and fun. Prerequisite: At least 1 Parent and Child class.
- Level 1/Introduction to Water Skills: Our lessons are designed for youngsters 5 and older. Lessons emphasize building self-confidence, breathing control skills and floating with support.
- Level 2/Fundamental Aquatic Skills: These lessons are designed for youngsters who feel comfortable in the water. Lessons emphasize floating independently, rhythmic breathing and underwater exploration. Prerequisite: Successful completion of Level 1.
- Level 3/Stroke Development: Our lessons emphasize coordinating components of the front and back crawl, demonstrating the fundamentals of elementary backstroke, introduction of the breaststroke, treading water and diving from kneeling and compact positions.
- Prerequisite: Successful completion of level 2.
- Level 4/Stroke Improvement: Our lessons emphasize further development of front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, introduction of the breaststroke, sidestroke, starts, turns and diving.
- Levels 5/Stroke Refinement: Provides further refinement of fundamental skills and add advanced skills, such as competitive starts, turns, butterfly stroke and springboard diving.
- Levels 6/Swimming & Skill Proficiency: Refines the strokes so participants swim them with ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over greater didtances. Level 6 is designed with "menu" options that focus on preparing students with a variety of actitities. Options include: Personal Water Safety, Lifeguard Rediness, Fumdamentals of Diving and Fitness Swimmer.